Resources for PhD students
The Doctoral Student's Guide
The Doctoral Student's Guide constitutes a common base for the institutions entitled to award the doctorate with regard to the reporting, deposit, conservation and valorisation of doctoral theses.
Report your thesis in preparation
STEP This is a national professional application for the reporting of theses in preparation, and is used by the majority of institutions authorized to award doctorates, in order to enhance the value of doctoral research in progress. Thus, the subjects of theses in progress are referenced and disseminated via Theses.fr.
The STEP application is accessible to doctoral students provided that their institution authorizes this access. A certificate of registration of a thesis in preparation is given to the doctoral student either via his/her STEP account or by asking the STEP correspondent at his/her institution.
For more information, doctoral students are invited to contact the service responsible for reporting theses in preparation, usually the doctoral school or the Common Service of Documentation.
As an official document, the doctoral thesis is governed by a set of official texts.
Texts in force
- Order of 25 May 2016 establishing the national training framework and the procedures leading to the award of the national doctoral diploma
- Law No. 2013-660 of 22 July 2013 on higher education and research
- Circular no. 2011-0009 of 11 May 2011
- Decree No. 2009-464 of 23 April 2009 on contractual doctoral students in public higher education or research institutions
- Law No. 2006-450 of 18 April 2006 on research programmes
- Guide to Copyright - 4th edition (2018) under the scientific direction of A.Lucas, by E. Bouchet-Le Mappian, S. Chatry and S. Le Cam, University of Nantes, Research Institute of Private Law and MESRI. A guide and tutorial that addresses the use and creation of digital resources, available on the digital portal for higher education
- Memorandum of Understanding of 22 July 2016 on the use of books, edited musical works, periodical publications and works of visual arts for the purpose of illustrating teaching and research activities, published in Official Gazette No. 35 of 29 September 2016, and its amendment of 26 December 2019.
Texts applicable before 01/09/2016
These regulatory texts, cited for the record, were repealed by the order of 25 May 2016 setting the national training framework and the procedures leading to the award of the national doctoral diploma.
- Order of August 7, 2006, on the procedures for the deposit, reporting, reproduction, dissemination and conservation of theses or works presented for doctoral defense
- Order of 7 August 2006 on doctoral training
- Order of 6 January 2005 on the international co-supervision of theses.
- Circular of 29 March 2005 on the deposit, reporting, dissemination and archiving of theses in electronic form
- Order of 3 September 1998 relating to the thesis charter
- Order of September 25, 1985, on the Procedures for the Deposit, Notification and Reproduction of Theses or Works Presented for Defense with a View to the Doctoral Degree