ILL, Interlibrary Loan service
A service offered by the libraries Sudoc / Sudoc PS
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) and/or Distance Document Delivery (DDD) are part of the document sharing system implemented by the Sudoc and Sudoc PS networks.
This national system allows users registered in a library to obtain, in the form of a loan or photocopy, any documentary resource (article, book, thesis, journal, etc.) identified in the Sudoc catalogue as being "available for ILL" in one of the 1,800 libraries participating in the ILL network.
The ILL network is made up of all the member libraries of the Sudoc network as well as numerous libraries participating in the Sudoc PS network, identified for the richness or rarity of their periodical collections. These libraries can assume, by various technical means, the role of document requester and/or supplier.
Note: a dozen foreign libraries also participate in the scheme and have privileged access to the French network
more information: see thestudy on the modernisation of the EPB
The PEB, a technical device based on the Sudoc
Within documentary institutions, the ILL system is based on tools configured byAbes and interconnected with Sudoc :
- Supeb: integrated into the WinIBW cataloguing interface, this tool enables libraries Sudoc to provide and borrow documentary resources on behalf of their readers. A chaining system is offered to institutions wishing to delegate the management of ILL (applicant and supplier) to one of the libraries within their perimeter
- PebWeb Pro : intégré à l’interface publique du Sudoc, cet outil permet aux bibliothèques du réseau Sudoc PS, ainsi qu’aux bibliothèques étrangères conventionnées, d’emprunter des ressources documentaires pour le compte de leurs lecteurs et d’assurer le suivi des demandes de PEB
Please note: the libraries in the Sudoc network have the possibility of authorising certain users (doctoral students, researchers, etc.), which implies the allocation of dedicated identifiers (login/password). Authorised users can thus prepare their ILL requests from the public interface of the catalogue Sudoc and follow the steps of its processing by their home library.
Integrating the ILL network
Network libraries Sudoc
Each institution (ILN) is encouraged to participate in the ILL network, for example through one of its libraries, thus facilitating the circulation of documentation within the ESR community. This service is included in the " base " covered by the membership agreement for the networks and services ofAbes.
Les options disponibles pour participer au réseau PEB nécessitent certains paramétrages opérés par l’Abes. Ainsi, chaque bibliothèque (RCR) a la possibilité :
- to join the Supeb network as a full-service library
- to set up a chaining between libraries, which aims to delegate the ILL management to another library deployed in Supeb
For any request for parameterization : ABESstp helpdesk > Sudoc pro > "Interlibrary loan" domain.
Network libraries Sudoc PS
Libraries that are members of the Sudoc PS network can benefit free of charge from PebWeb Pro, a tool for managing ILL requests. Participation in the ILL network implies the signature of a Declaration on the use of the PebWeb Pro service in which the library undertakes to respect the purpose of the service. Consult the model Declaration.
For all requests for integration into the ILL network: ABESstp helpdesk > Sudoc Pro > "Interlibrary loan" area (copy the CR - Network Centre Sudoc PS)
Une dizaine de grandes bibliothèques étrangères participent actuellement au réseau PEB français, ce qui leur donne la possibilité d’envoyer des demandes de PEB via PebWeb-pro auprès des bibliothèques Sudoc. La participation au réseau PEB implique la signature d’une Déclaration relative à l’usage du service PebWeb Pro dans laquelle la bibliothèque s’engage à respecter la vocation du service. Consulter le modèle de Déclaration.
For all requests to join the ILL network: ABES helpdeskstp > Sudoc Catalogue > Interlibrary loan
Get to know the participating libraries
- The complete lists of the different libraries participating in one or the other network are available under the heading "For download".
- The contact details of the libraries and their ILL policy are available in the "Service" section of the Directory of Resource Centres.
- Librarians who are members of the network Sudoc can access the contact details of the ILL services of the member libraries of the Supeb network from the WinIBW professional interface.