Shared cataloguing in the Sudoc
A shared system at the national level
Shared cataloguing in Sudocthe is the mechanism for pooling national bibliographic records for the benefit of all scientific communities.
Documentary institutions that are members of the network benefit Sudoc from a technical environment and a range of tools and services.
- Sharing of good practices in cataloguing and reporting of documentary resources: data format based on the international UNIMARC format; systematic links to authority data (authors; communities; subject indexing, etc.); location of available copies in each institution to promote interlibrary loan services and broaden documentary coverage.
- production and quality control tools common to the cataloguing teams
- export service to local SGBs of data enriched/corrected/updated on a daily basis by all the professionals in the network
- visibility of the ESR collections in the Sudoc and various international catalogues
- training and documentation.
Several modes of production are proposed:
- creating, enriching or correcting bibliographic records from the WinIBW cataloguing interface
- exemplarization / localization on records Sudoc, from the WinIBW cataloguing interface or with the help of COLODUS, professional application of exemplarization
- derivation of records from the largest bibliographic databases
- mass modification or correction of anomalies thanks to specific tools (ITEM, Paprika...) or webservices.
The data produced collectively by the cataloguing teams of the networkSudoc 's member libraries is exported daily to the institutions' Library Management Systems (LMS) as part of the regular transfer service.
WinIBW: cataloguing interface in the Sudoc
Developed and maintained by OCLC, WinIBW is the common cataloging interface used by professionals in ESR libraries that are members of the networkSudoc.
Accessible to the cataloguers of the network Sudocmember institutions, WinIBW, a client/server application, must be installed on the users' workstations (fixed PCs or laptops equipped with a Windows operating system). The installation of WinIBW with a Mac OS is possible but only from a Windows virtual machine.
Note: version of WinIBW currently in use (January 2020): version 188.8.131.52
Features and Services
The following features are available :
- 3 cataloguing modes: novice, semi-expert and expert
- several search modes: simple, advanced, index scanning
- customizable interface for creating / modifying / deleting bibliographic / authority / copy records
- bibliographic control: creation of links (bibliographic and authorities) between records Sudoc
- facilitation: automation of certain commands (scripts); provision of record templates; derivation of records from external databases
- specific modules (reserved for certain groups of users): administration of professional users ; Interlibrary Loan (PEB); data administration commands
From Cataloguing training with WinIBW are insured throughout the academic year.
Over the years, the ESRAbes has developed and made available to the cataloguers of the ESR's documentary establishments several professional interfaces for the production of metadata interconnected with the databaseSudoc :
- IdRef, for the production of authority records
- STAR for the production of records for doctoral theses
- COLODUS, for reporting copies
- ITEMfor the administration of copies
The interconnection between WinIBW and IdRef and/or COLODUS is left to the free appreciation of each institution.