At the heart of Abes
L'Abes, the bibliographic agency for higher education
Reporting of information resources, a collaborative network activity
ItAbes provides higher education and research institutions (HEIs) with a range of tools and services dedicated to the reporting and administration of the documentary resources available in their libraries.
TheAbes supports the professionals of the member institutions of its networks in their bibliographic reporting activities (training, assistance, coordination of quality projects, data migration, etc.). The main orientations are developed in close connection with the ADBU, particularly in the framework of the Reporting and Information Systems (RIS) Committee.
As the national bibliographic agency for the ESR, theAbes carries out documentary standardisation missions. In this capacity, it collaborates with the Bibliothèque nationale de France (BnF), and holds responsibilities within the main national and international bodies devoted to the development of standards necessary for the world of documentation. To know more about it
The reporting of doctoral theses, a national mission
In accordance with the order of 25 May 2016 (art.24-25)As an official document in digital format, doctoral theses are subject to strict regulations regarding their registration, permanent archiving and availability for consultation.
Within the framework of this national mission entrusted by the MESRI, theAbes provides institutions authorised to award doctorates with a range of services and tools dedicated to the reporting and submission of theses and the valorisation of doctoral research.
The other files are under the responsibility of MESRI, including:
- the authorisations of institutions for the award of the doctoral degree
- the supervision of the partners involved in the dissemination and enhancement of theses
- legal issues, in particular those relating to intellectual property
Search interfaces to facilitate access to data
The data produced collectively by the member institutions of the ESR document networks are freely accessible from 4 search interfaces:
- Sudoc The Sudoc catalogue lists all the documentary resources available in the 3,500 member libraries of the Sudoc/Sudoc PS networks. Learn more
- theses.fr The theses.fr search engine provides access to the descriptive metadata of French doctoral theses, either defended or with the status "in preparation". Learn more
- Calames The catalogue Calames lists and describes in an appropriate format the archives and manuscripts available in the ESR libraries. Learn more
- IdRef The IdRef repository provides access to authority data produced by the member libraries of the document networks (Sudoc, Calames and Theses) and in the framework of numerous institutional partnerships. Learn more
L'Abes, an agency for the mutualisation of academic and research institutions
TheAbes offers its legal expertise and financing capacities to the ESR community in the framework of public procurement, in particular for the acquisition of electronic document resources or Library Management Systems.
Acquisitions of electronic resources
- porting of order groups of electronic resources negotiated by the Couperin consortium
- negotiation and purchase of electronic resources in the form of national licences: in the context of the program ISTEX (2012-2018) and then the CollEx-Persée program
- participation in the Scientific Publisher Support Plan supported by the MESRI
- descriptive metadata electronic resources libraries and discovery tools
Support for institutional projects
- legal implementation of the framework agreement mBMS - Management System for Shared Library technical and methodological support for documentary establishments during their re-informatisation
- financial and logistical support for projects carried out by the libraries in the network Sudoc PS, in particular the projects of Plans for the Shared Conservation of Periodicals
- financial and logistical support for reporting schemes in the Sudoc and Calames
L'Abes, the national agency for the allocation of the ISIL number for French libraries
The identifier ISIL - International Standard for Identifier for Libraries (ISO 15511:2009), an international standard code, is used to identify libraries and related organizations. In France, the n°ISIL has the same structure as the n°RCR, preceded by "FR".
As aagency national ISILAbes is responsible for assigning ISIL identifiers at the request of any library, including those not participating in theAbes networks. This service is used in particular for the RFID equipment of libraries.